Major General NR Lamahewage (Retd) RWP RSP ndu is a proud product of St. Aloysius College - Galle. Having joined the Regular Force of Sri Lanka Army as an Officer Cadet on 27 October 1986, he successfully completed his basic military training at the Officer Training School in Pakistan and Sri Lanka Military Academy - Diyatalawa. Major General Lamahewage was commissioned to the rank of Second Lieutenant in the Gajaba Regiment (GR) on 13 July 1987.
During his 35 years of illustrious military career, he has held many Command and Staff appointments at various levels in the Sri Lanka Army. As a very competent and professional military Officer, he was elevated in the subsequent ranks and promoted to the rank of Major General and he was capable enough to command 14 Infantry Division, the Commander of Security Forces Headquarters - Central and subsequently, the Colonel of the Regiment of Sri Lanka National Guard. With consideration of the great capabilities of management and leadership, the HE the President has appointed Major General Lamahewage as the Director General of Department of Civil Security from 08 July 2021.
To his credit, he has attended a number of local and foreign courses of academic and professional value, including Signal Officers/ Voice Procedure Course, Assault Pioneer Course, Potential Unit Commander Course, Anti-Terrorism Programme Bureau of Diplomatic Security Course, Young Officer Course, Junior Command Course, VIP Course (Org and exec of the security action course), VIP Course (Driver Body Guard and Extreme Driving Course), VIP Course (Personal Security details in the high risk environment), United Nations Staff Officer and Logistic Officer Course, Senior Command Course 122, Comprehensive Crisis Management Course, Non-Lethal Weapon Seminar, National Security and War Course, Radicalization process leading to terrorism and preventive measures programme. Major General N R Lamahewage is a graduate of the prestigious National Defence University Islamabad, Pakistan in National Security and War Studies.
Major General Lamahewage is a decorated military Officer whom have been awarded the gallantry awards of Rana Wickrama Padakkama (RWP) and Rana Sura Padakkama (RSP) in three times for his acts of bravery in the battlefield. Major General Lamahewage, who has maintained the highest standards of discipline, counts over 35 years of dedicated, committed and unblemished service in the Sri Lanka Army.
He is married to Mrs Upendra Kariyawasam and blessed with two daughters.
- Platoon Commander - 1st Battalion the Gajaba Regiment
- Adjutant and Company Commander - 8th Battalion the Gajaba Regiment
- Second in Command - 1st Battalion the Gajaba Regiment
- Regimental Adjutant - Regimental Headquarters Gajaba Regiment
- Major Admin and Quartering - Area Headquarters – Galle
- Brigade Major - Area Headquarters – Diyathalawa
- General Staff Officer I (Operations/ Training) - President’s Security Unit
- Commanding Officer - Advance & Perimeter President Guard
- Colonel General Staff - Security Force Headquarters (West)
- Commandant - Regimental Headquarters Gajaba Regiment
- Commandant - Combat Training School –Ampara
- Commander - 141 Brigade
- Commander - 581 Brigade and Overall Security Coordinator of Army Headquarters.