National Home Guard Service was established as a Voluntary Service in the mid 1980's to protect the border/ threatened villages. They were issued with 12 bore shot guns and brown coloured uniforms. No allowances were paid, but some rations were issued through co-operative outlets.
Subsequently, they were paid a daily allowance and placed under the Police Department. Training was carried out at Kumbuka camp, Horana.
His Excellency the President Mr. Mahinda Rajapakse by gazette notification No. 1462/20 dated 13th September 2006, re-structured the whole Home Guard Service and established the Civil Security Department.
Numbers employed increased to 41,500 and one month military training was introduced. Further, two types of uniforms similar to military uniforms were issued. A reasonable salary was paid for the employees. A military officer (Rear Admiral Rank) was appointed as the Director General of the Civil Security Department.
The first Director General appointed was Rear Admiral Dr. Sarath Weerasekare & The Director General at present is Rear Admiral Ananda Pieris. Approximately, 58 officers from the Armed Services and Police were attached for better administration.