Functions of the Civil Security Department as per Gazette notification No 1462/20 dated 13th September 2006 are as follows:
- Taking actions as a Supplementary Force for aiding and assisting Armed Forces and Police Service, as per the case of the existing security situation within the country.
- Taking action to safeguard the villages, properties and cities where terrorist threats are present.
- Assisting the Police and Armed Forces for the function of protecting Law and Order within the country.
- Engaging with the Security on instances of National Events and any other important occasions.
- Assisting to the activities of mitigating various disasters (such as floods, landslides and Tsunami) occurred within the country.
- Assisting with Social Welfare activities.
- Engaging with special functions ordered by the President, Minister (in charge of the subject) or the Government.
- Establishment of Civil Security Department Head Quarters.